Sunday 16 July 2017

The Photo Album



As I was driving to work one day, I found myself reminiscing of times gone past. I was remembering the first dress I wore when I started a new job, after high school. 


I also remembered the shoes I wore, but I was struggling to remember what my hair looked like. 


And then I became kind of mellow as different memories surfaced, & I thought, wouldn't it be cool to see a movie of your life...those younger days...the fashions, the seasons...things you don't always remember...


But then suddenly I realised there are some things in my past I would rather not be reminded of. I think there are several scenes that I would need to fast forward from..


I guess the movie of my life wouldn't really be a good idea after all. I wouldn't be able to edit & remove the bits I don't want God to see.....too late, He already has!


Romans 14:12 so then each of us will give an account of himself to God. 


As I drove, I thought about that verse. I wonder how God will do it....wonder how I would give an account of my life to Him, who is holy, without blemish. How could I stand before Him, every part of my heart exposed to the One who sees all & knows all. 


And then I thought, well He already knows every inch of my life....nothing escapes His eye on me. My bad behaviours, my bad attitudes, the harsh thoughts, the harsh words, the hurt I've caused someone, my lack of forgiveness, every little sin....He sees it all. 


Yes, when I confess & repent, He does forgive me, & the Bible says He remembers my sin no more.....the slate is wiped clean. 


But.....while I'm sinning, He sees it. You know what? The thought of this makes me feel a little bit like Adam & Eve when God exposed their disobedience. I want to hide from Him.....I want to cover myself.....


I don't know how it will be on that day when I have to give an account of my life. All I can really do is deal with the here & now. Right now I want to stand before Him, blameless, wearing a clean garment. 


Yet here I stand, in my filthy rags.....but comforted in knowing that while I can't make them clean, my Saviour can. He is the only perfect stain remover! 


I'm not looking forward to giving an account of my life, I cringe at the thought, yet I know that it will actually be a cleansing of this life spent in my mortal flesh....my sins have been forgiven. I have been saved through the blood of Christ & my eternity is secure in His care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment